2.16.2012

Not So Tasty

So my husband was all excited to make this dinner on Valentines day. He had talked about it for a few weeks, and had carefully shopped for all the ingredients. I was super psyched because since I have been on parental leave I have made 99% of our dinners. He got the recipe from a magazine I had laying around, House and Home. We even waited until after Maya was in bed before sitting down to dinner that night so that we could actually take our time and enjoy it. When he was cooking it my stomach was a bit queasy but since it looked good in the picture I was still excited to give it a try. As soon as it hit the table, I knew that as yummy as it looked to my eyes, my stomach was saying "ooooh gross!". You see, I have been taking this pill called Diclectin for morning (all day sickness). I have been feeling pretty good lately so I stopped taking it for a day. Bad move. I immediately started feeling sick again, and my appetite just went with it. The aversion to certain foods was back full force! I took one bite of the dish and had to slide the plate away. I felt horrible and you could tell Chris was a tad bit heart broken after all the work he put into it. In the end I settled for a pb&j sandwich. But since it looked like such a good recipe I thought I would share it anyway. Chris loved it and had lots of leftovers for the next day. I'm sure after this pregnancy I will give it another try.

The dish was called, "Ginger Scallion Beef with Oyster Sauce".

1 1/2 lbs flank steak, trimmed
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
7 snow peas, strings removed
4 green onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp sake

Cut the flank steak in half lengthwise into 2 long pieces, then cut across the grain into thin slices. In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, ginger, and mirin. Add the flank steak, toss to coat and let marinate for 20 minutes.

Heat the oils over medium high heat in a wok or large saute pan. Working in 2 batches, sear the beef slices until no longer pink, add the snow peas and continue to cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the onions, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and sake and cook for 2 more, until the beef and vegetables are saucy and hot. Serve.

I would show a picture of it, but I couldn't find the same recipe online, you will have to take my word for it, that it looked good!

Here is a similar picture I found on this site.


Today is a rainy day around here. The snow is melting and it is just blah. Our solar panels are finally done and we hook up to the grid next week.




I'm kind of sad that these things kind of mess with the view out my back windows, but they are starting to grow on me. Once all the leaves grow on the trees and our grass is green again I'm thinking it will blend in a bit better. The good news is with this investment we are hoping to pay off our mortgage earlier and we are promoting sun energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...