8.28.2011

Leading By Example Continued

TODAY'S MOTIVATION

You may remembering me talking about how I want to set a good example for my cute precious baby girl. Well, not only do I want to model good eating habits, but I also want her to establish a high self esteem. This day in age, it is sooooooo easy for women and girls to feel like what they are, what they look like, what they do, is not good enough. They don't need to also learn it from their mothers. Over the last few weeks, I have realized that I can criticize myself with the best of them. Although there are many things about myself that I do like, I do not want Maya growing up with a mother that always hates the way she looks in the mirror. I have already started to be conscious about what I say about myself in front of her, because I know that children learn what they live. Although I vent on this blog about what I want to change about my body, I eventually want to get to a point in my life when I can just be happy with the the weight I am at and how I look. I am not shooting for super model status, just to look and be healthy.

Source: CW Network

I feel that little girls establish their first sense of self worth by how their mommy and daddy act toward themselves and towards each other, and also by what comments they make about others in the media and in real life.  So that is a goal I will remember today, to get to a point where I can model high self esteem for my daughter. I read an article once that got me thinking about how we talk to little girls, and I do agree with some of it. It really reinforces what influence we adults have on little girl's idea of self worth. I also want my itty bitty to feel like she is beautiful inside and out!

RANT OR RAVE

Ok I found this marinade for chicken tawook the other day, and I loved it. My best friend who came over for dinner and my husband seemed to like it too so I will share the recipe. 

Shish Tawook Marinated Chicken




3 tablespoons vegetable oil 
2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt 
2 tablespoons ketchup 
2 tablespoons prepared mustard 
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder 
2 teaspoons paprika 1 
1/2 teaspoons ground allspice 
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (optional) 
3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves cut into bite-size pieces

Dipping Sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise, fat free 
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1/4 teaspoon salt


In a medium bowl, stir together oil, yogurt, ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, paprika, allspice, black pepper, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir in chicken pieces, coating all sides with marinade. Cover bowl, and refrigerate overnight. To make dipping sauce, mix together mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, and salt. Cover and refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Transfer chicken pieces to a shallow baking dish. Bake in a preheated oven 30 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce. Makes 12 servings.

We did ours on the barbecue instead. I also did not do the dipping sauce but instead opted for a tzatziki sauce recipe that has fat free yogurt and fat free sour cream. It was yummy!


NOTE TO SELF



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...