10.16.2011

Popcorn Standoff

TODAY'S MOTIVATION

Ok. So you may remember me talking about the cookie standoff, when I first started out with getting healthy. At the time it was quite the temptation until I declared that I wasn't going to give in and eat them. They are still sitting in my cupboard untouched. 


Well I have decided to declare a standoff with the popcorn. I have talked a lot on here about my popcorn addiction.  The fact that I had gotten in the habit of eating it most nights. Even though it isn't the worst thing in the world to make it was still problematic for two reasons: 1) I usually ended up putting cheesy powder on it and 2) it was always before bed time (which is counter-productive when you are trying to loose weight).  So, four days ago I put the popcorn on my counter and decided I wasn't going to touch it anymore. 


I will look at it when I pass by, and let it taunt me, but I will not touch it. So far it has been a success. So today my motivation is knowing that I can say no even to something as addicting as popcorn.


RANT OR RAVE

Ok, I'm sure some people are probably sick of me complaining about the lack of sleep. But don't hate, this is my outlet. Today I want to rave about the opposite. You see, on Friday night my hubby came home from  being out of town for four days. He decided to get up with Maya the whole night, no matter how many times, so that I could get some uninterrupted sleep. Even though I still woke up when she cried, I forced myself to roll over and try to get back to sleep. By morning time, I had gotten about eight hours of sleep. The first time I have gotten eight straight hours since Maya went through her "sleeping through the night" phase a few months back. No word of a lie, I felt like a different person. I kicked ass in kickboxing class that morning. Major energy. What a difference sleep makes! On top of that, Maya slept for another two hours during her morning nap so I got to take a shower and get ready at a leisurely pace without any intteruptions. It was a great start to the day. The day got even better when we got to hang out with Chris' family for dinner. Maya loved watching everyone and being a part of the group. Last night my baby girl got up four times and so it was back to zombie mode, but I am still thankful for the recoup Friday night. 

Speaking of which, I can't believe how naive I was when I first thought about getting up with a baby before  Maya was born. I was all like "well everyone goes through it, so it won't be that bad I will love my baby so much I will just roll with it". But seriously, I never would have realized how much lack of sleep affects you on a day to day basis. Everyone else makes it look like no big deal. But now I know that as much as you love your child, and as much as you love to spend time with them, you still cherish your sleep. 

I have decided that some seven month olds just get up a lot more at night than others. Could be teething, could be gas, could be too cold, could just want a cuddle. Who knows, sometimes it's hard to tell. But who cares, I have stopped reading the parenting books for the most part because I was driving myself crazy trying to follow different kinds of advice. I just do what works for me. Yes, I could let her cry longer in her crib at night. Yes I could try to change how we do her feeds. Yes there are lot of things we could experiment with, but at the end of the day I am doing what my instincts tell me and I know that there will be a day when Maya no longer wants me to hold her and rock her to sleep. She is already getting mobile and being a squiggly worm during the day. I know these precious moments are running out. So I surrender to the sleep torture. I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Sure it may make me a different crazy person for a while, but I am Maya's crazy person. That's all the matters.  



NOTE TO SELF




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...